Alexander, AR asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Arkansas

Q: Can I get my security deposit back if my property manager texted me and told me I could break my lease.

My rent was increased because I was living in income based. I told my property manager that I may move on April 2nd. She told me it was fine 3 different times throughout the month of April. She said the ppl over her did not care if I broke my lease and that I would get it a full refund for leaving the apartment clean. I even signed the paper where I was getting the refund. Now the property is keeping my refund because they are saying that she "though I was doing an interim". I have messages where she told me that I was getting a full refund 3 times. Where she told me that the company did not mind that I was leaving because they know how I felt. She also knew I was not returning because we talked about Entergy being shut off in these messages. She even told me that I did not need a 30 notice that it was okay that I was giving a 29 day notice and that I would STILL get a full deposit back. I was depending on my deposit for the next apartment I moved to. Can I sue for it back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: The amount of money involved is way too small to be of interest to most lawyers. FYI, the law is not designed to solve every little problem that comes your way during this lifetime; the Latin phrase for this rule is "De minimus non curat lex."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.