Texarkana, TX asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Texas

Q: Could I lose rights to my kids just because my mother has had my kids for the last 6years?

My mother is trying to adopt my kids. I told her I was not willing to let her adopt them. And ever since I disagreed with her and her wife, she will no longer allowed me to see them , talk to them , or have any sort of contact whatsoever. She has broken the court several times. nd has lied to me over and over. What can I do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You need to bring court action. It sounds as though there is an order in place. You have valid rights. If you do nothing then she will argue that you have abandoned them and could possibly succeed on an adoption.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.