Tulsa, OK asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: My step daughter has 3 kids and filed for divorce. Is parenting class required? What if he won't go? Is she out of luck?

She insists the Judge told her the divorce won't be granted unless they both attend this parenting class. He refuses to go. What remedy does she have to get the divorce finalized and get an order for child support? He gives her no money for the small kids (3 under age 4). She is not working and has no income other than state assistance for food and healthcare for the kids. She can't live in public housing because when she lived there with her husband (and both their names were on the lease), he lied about his income. Now she is not accepted for housing. What recourse does she have? She's really in a bad spot, and any advise you can give would be wonderful.

1 Lawyer Answer
Hans Otto Lehr
Hans Otto Lehr
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Starting with the divorce questions, yes, attending the Helping Children Cope with Divorce class is mandatory for both parents and is offered at Family and Children's Services. If she is receiving certain types of state services through DHS, she may be able to waive the fee for the class.

If he refuses to participate in the class, the Judge may compel his attendance by Order of the Court, which would allow her to apply for the Court to hold him in Contempt if/when he still doesn't participate. He is ultimately does not participate in the divorce proceeding at all, she can motion the Court for a default judgment and get an order for custody, visitation, child support, etc. as she and the Judge see fit.

The public housing is an entirely different issue. If she can prove he was the sole source of the fraud you mentioned, I would think reapplying after she is officially divorced from him might help. That would be a good question for the housing agency she is applying to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.