Portland, OR asked in Divorce, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Oregon

Q: I live in Oregon in my divorce I got the house my ex still has not taken his name off the house .

The county wont allow me to take his name off the homeowner tax stuff. My ex refuses to take his name off. Can I use him to get his name off or do I have to suffer until the house is paid off?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You should have made sure that the divorce decree awarding you the house contained the legal description of the house you were awarded. Then you only need to take a certified copy of the divorce decree awarding you the house to who ever you need to make changes. So if your decree doesn't contain the legal description you may need to take steps to amend the decree. Get an attorney to help you. But do be aware that if there is a mortgage on the house and your husband's name is on the mortgage, you may not be able to get his name off the house until the issues with the mortgage have been fixed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.