Fairplay, CO asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado

Q: We've had a verbal lease agrmt for 4out of 6yrs. He verbally agreed to rerent in Jan for 7/19-7/20. Now he's backing out

We have rented from the same gentleman since 2012, he lived out of state until last year. In Jan we had to change internet providers. He said to put it in my name as we would be releasing again. I asked specifically because I didn't want to sign up for a 2yr agreement if he wanted us to move in 6 months. No mention of new terms, just renewing again like always, but that the summer of 2020 was the end as he is remodeling. In March he said he wanted it to end in 5/20 instead of 6/20. Then he said 3/20 and the rent was going up by $200. Now he's given us a termination paper of Sept 2, 2019. Two months from now. I do have a text from him stating we wouldn't be expected to move until the summer of 2020. And another where while I was disputing what he is doing he stated "Yes I committed to 3/31-2020" What are our options?

1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Castle Rock, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: If you refuse to return possession the LL will determine if he want to initiate an eviction action. If he does then you will want to show your evidence to the Judge in hopes of creating a contract through March of 2020.

You may consider having an attorney draft a demand letter to your LL stating why his eviction will ultimately fail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.