Fort Smith, AR asked in Medical Malpractice for Washington

Q: Family member was told to sign paperwork that a surgey went fine while under pain medication when it didnt.

My wife's cousin recently had his appendix taken out. During the surgery they did severe damage to his bladder. While in recovery and under the influence of pain medication a nurse heavy handedly (or forced) him to sign paperwork that essentially said everything went fine to his knowledge and nothing bad happened. He is now having to have a second surgery done at a different hospital to repair the damage from the first. When he tries to discuss the matter with hospital regarding malpractice they claim he signed that form so they're not responsible, hang up, and are no longer taking his calls. He has tried to find a lawyer to hear his case but cannot afford the 20,000-100,000 price tag to even get in the door. Does he have a case? And are their any agencies he could appeal to who could assist him? We live out of state and are not sure how the laws work up in Washington.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: That isn't the way it works (in terms of footing a $20,000 to $100,000 price tag to "get in the door"). If a Washington med mal attorney determines that the grounds for a valid case exist, it is likely that the firm would move forward with the case on a contingency basis, which means that the firm would take a percentage upon successful verdict or settlement as their attorney fee. This is something you must discuss with a firm, and many offer free consultations. Before discussing the matter further and signing any more forms he is not clear on the legal effect of, your wife's cousin should try to arrange a free initial consultation with an attorney. Does he have a case? That is something the attorney you meet with could determine, based on the medical records. Good luck to him in his healing and recovery.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.