Edison, NJ asked in Family Law for New Jersey

Q: How do I get certified copy of name change certificate, that was issued as part of naturalization?

How do I get certified copy of name change certificate, that was issued as part of naturalization? Right after naturalization I was able to get US passport with new name as well as updated my name with Social security office. Lost that certificate and now DMV needs that certificate? USCIS won't give any certified copy (requested one via FOIA and got unsigned certificate). Please guide me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to go to the authority that authorized the name change. If you changed your name incident to divorce then you go to the family division in the county where you were divorced.

If you changed your name in the court and it did not involve a divorce then you need to contact the law division in the county where you originally filed for the name change.

If you received the name change as part of your immigration process and the document was issued by USCIS then you need to consult with an immigration attorney who has experience dealing with that agency.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.