Brookline, MA asked in Child Custody for Massachusetts

Q: Unmarried parents, not living together- daughter is 1 month old and I am filing for custody and visitation in MA

Mother wants to take her out of state for 2-3 weeks which means I won’t be able to see my daughter. How do I prevent this? We do not yet have any court orders.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If paternity has not been formally acknowledged already you can commence a Paternity proceeding and seek temporary orders that the child not be removed from the Commonwealth of Mass until adjudication of same. If paternity was already established then a Custody and Support proceeding would need to be commenced and you would be seeking visitation and obtaining a child support order as well as a temporary order that the child not be removed from Massachusetts- does it seem this is truly a vacation or is something else going on- the Court is ok with short vacations if the location and return date /return tickets are presented to the Court by the party seeking to have the child out of state for vacation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.