Jonesboro, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Can I be charged with possession of meth and drug paraphernalia at a house that I own but is unoccupied??

My sister and I own a house that was our mons. I was recently arrested and charged wirh meth possession charges and a paraphernalia charge for things found in my yard of this unoccupied house that I own with my sister. It was searched because of a separate crime the cops r trying to charge me wirh. I was not even at the residence when this alledge crime happened. I called the police from another location cause someone broke into my home but I was lucky enough to get out. When the cops come to take my statement I am arrested cause the person who broke into my home somehow ended up with a GSW to the hand after I left. He was not arreated for breaking my door down which I have on audio tape and then I am charged with the drugs he threw out in my yard but I wasnt even there when all this was happening. Also if im veing charged cause it was found on my property shouldnt my sister be charged with the drug charges as well since her name is on the deed to the house too?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James E Hensley Jr
James E Hensley Jr
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Conway, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: With the facts you mention, it would seem odd that you were arrested. Perhaps there are other issues going on? Either way, you were charged because the police believe you to be involved. The prosecutor is obliged to give you a copy of all the documents and facts that will be used against you.

With such charges you should seek counsel right away and do not speak to any official until you do. Follow the lawyer's advice to the letter. It is wise of you to reach out to Justia!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.