Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for Arizona

Q: I am a US citizen and trying to marry an illegal immigrant will we have problems?

We live in Arizona what is the full process of getting married here?You

I am trying to get married. My boyfriend is illegal but has a passport and I have my ID..if we go to get the marriage license will we have problems? If not then once we have the marriage license will there be any problems getting married? I mean will the judge marry us with him being illegal? Will there be problems getting married?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: Most States will allow the Marriage. But the problems come later, such

as whether he can work, bank, build up Social Security for his Dependents...etc. If he is deported, it may be a nightmare without end for you and your Family. I suggest he obtain competent immigration counsel and request State Department/ICE approval prior to a possibly catastrophic Marriage to you.

Dayna Lally
Dayna Lally
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA

A: I agree with Attorney Avery that most states will allow the marriage. Whether you may encounter problems down the line depends on whether your boyfriend was inspected and admitted at his last arrival and whether he could be found inadmissible for criminal convictions, health-related grounds, etc.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.