Warwick, RI asked in Real Estate Law for Rhode Island

Q: My father is selling his mobile home, agreed on a price, inspection came back and told he needs to deduct $800?

My dad agreed to the $26,000 someone offered him, inspection came back with deficiencies and my dad was told he needed to deduct $800. My dad doesn't want to sell now based on the $800 deduction, but the real estate agent told him he has to sell it or he will get sued. Is this true? My dad signed an agreement for the $26,000, but didn't sign anything after the inspection and when he was told he needed to deduct $800 from the asking price.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Bilodeau
Andrew Bilodeau
  • West Warwick, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If the agreement was for $26,000 your father should receive the full $26,000 if he does not want to make any concessions. Generally the agreement with have a time period for the due diligence - inspections, etc. during that time if an issue is discovered, the buyer can chose to waive the deficiency and purchase or the buyer can walk away. It's highly unlikely for the contract to contain a provision that would require the seller to pay for correcting the deficiencies that are discovered during the due diligence period. I would carefully review the contract to determine what his rights and obligations are as expressly written in the agreement.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.