Philadelphia, PA asked in Criminal Law for Pennsylvania

Q: Can i recant my statement to the police?

Me and my husband got in a fight, the police were called and i was nervous because this shouldnt of happened. They confused me and made it seem worse than it was and so in my statement i made it seem worse than it was. Im not sure what to do

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

NiaLena Caravasos

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Philadelphia, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: The best thing that you can do right now is contact a criminal lawyer so that you can discuss your situation in detail with that person and proceed in the best possible way, per the lawyer’s advice and guidance. I would not do anything further without a lawyer.

Cary B. Hall

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can, but you might be threatened with (and prosecuted for) making a false statement under oath. Not good.

The better bet is for you to inform the police -- and the DA's Office, if it gets to that -- that you do not wish to prosecute. They'll know they have an uncooperative witness and may agree to withdraw charges against your husband.

By the way, this is what happens when the police are called: it's taken out of your hands immediately. Remember that the next time you dial 911. Best of luck to you both.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.