West Orange, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Small Claims for New Jersey

Q: I cosigned a car for my brother and he is not making payments. Can i take him to court to take the car if i pay it off.

I cosigned a car for my brother and he is not making payments for 5 months. Since we got the car he has been making late payments. Can i take him to court to take the car if i pay it off. Me and my brother's name is on the title. If i pay the car off, the bank will send the title to me. Can i take his name off title if i take him to court or take the car? I want the car because I know he will not give it to me.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: In most states either person named on the title has the ability to sell it or to do anything else with the car. If you pay it off the bank will give you a new title, which you can use any way you want.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.