Jacksonville, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Hello! I was pending i-539 application to change my B-2 to F-1 visa. However while waiting I got married and me and my

husband applied for green card. I thought my i-539 will be canceled automatically, but it never happened. Yesterday I got the evidence request for F-1 visa mail, so my application is still pending. Tell me please, what should I do to cancel my i-539 application.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
Kevin D. Slattery Esq.
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Consider scheduling a consultation with a competent immigration attorney to go over in detail all facets of your case. Generally speaking, however, if you no longer have any intent of pursuing F-1 status and so long as there are no inadmissibility issues in connection with your "green card" case, by which I presume you are referring to an adjustment of status case, then there may be no harm in withdrawing the change to F-1 case. Simply filing another type of case, however, such as an application to adjust status case, will not automatically cancel the change to F-1 case. Often, different USCIS offices decide different cases. Again, consider speaking with an experienced immigration attorney who can ask you many questions so as to decide how to best proceed with your cases. Some law offices, like mine, offer online Skype consultations for persons who are not local.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.