Miami Beach, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Hi my mom is Canadian citizen she overstayed since July 2017 due to helping Me with my newborn. At beginning we

Do not know as Canadian Only allow to stay for six months since there is no visa on the passport. After finding that out we also learned that she might not able to come back for 10 years if she leaves. So she stayed instead . surprisingly In 2018 she was able to renew her drivers license with no problem. Will she Be in trouble if she go to DMV to renew her license this year? She has no criminal record and not working either. is there a solution for our situation regarding the 10 years penalty. She does not have intention to immigrant here. But still want to have the freedoms to visit . And I am not a us citizen either.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Kevin D. Slattery Esq.

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you have not already consulted with an experienced immigration attorney, you should likely do so. The 10-year penalty of which you speak is triggered upon departure. If you are a U.S. Citizen and if your mother has the intent to immigrate to the United States, there may be a way to legalize her status from within the United States such she could, after her status has been "fixed", depart the United States without triggering the 10-year unlawful presence bar to reentry. My recommendation is that your mother speak with an attorney. Some attorneys, like myself, offer online Skype consultations if the individual does not reside locally.

1 user found this answer helpful

Stephen Arnold Black

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Are you a US citizen? If yes, discuss your case with counsel here in Florida.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.