Humble, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: I live in Texas with my kids, my kids father filed an allocation of rights from colorado, how do i respond?

I moved in November 2018 to TX, He still resides in Colorado. He filed this allocation of parental rights in Colorado. And, not knowing if I am an actual Texas resident after 7 months, how do igo about responding to this? do i have to file with Colorado? or does Colorado courts not have any rights to this in TX - therefore i respond through TX? I'm not sure how to respond.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It will depend on when the children were moved and when the actual filing was made. Consult a Colorado attorney if case is pending there to respond. In general, the jurisidiction of the court is the one where the child has resided 6 months prior to the filing. After discussing this with a Colorado attorney, if you still need assistance then please reach out to us. 888-343-4529.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.