Hialeah, FL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Florida

Q: As a custodial parent, how do I file for relocation of a child?

06/11 I notified my ex- husband I had to go back to SC at the end of the month via text msg since my mother was not allowed to return back to my apartment by her PCP. My mom was helping with me rent. Now she isn't with me, I cannot afford the apartment here. I have no where else to go by back home with my family. I will be staying with my aunt. My daughter 9 has summer school in July and I want to pick her up first week of August when she is done. My ex will not tell me if he will allow me to take her or not, and I have only 1-1/2 week to figure out what to do. I need help like ASAP!! How can I get help to stay as her custodial parent and relocate with her to SC? This was all sprung on me on 06/11 so I didn't have much notice and I do not want him to try to get me for abandonment. Was a text message enough notification? I am trying to talk to him about this via text message but he is now not responding to any of my msgs. I have a feeling he is going to pull some kind of stunt.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Tallahassee, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The court that adjudicated your divorce has jurisdiction over the minor child. You will have to petition the court and ask for a change in the child custody agreement to allow you to do what you need to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.