Durham, NC asked in Family Law and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: In 2006, my husband obligated to keep a college fund for both of his children. Now his daughter is graduating HS.

She has severed all communication with him. His ex-wife and the daughter chose the school without his knowledge. What is his obligation to pay for college? His ex-wife says it is 70-30. We are willing to pay 50-50 even though there is no relationship. The separation agreement does not state the amount each party must pay. It simply states what each party needs to contribute to the college fund. The divorce agreement states each party must contribute to the funds but does not address college in any way. We only have the 2006 separation agreement. HELP!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: I can not stress how incredibly not smart (this is the nicest way I can say stupid) it was to contractually obligate himself to pay for any portion of college (or any thing else for that matter that goes beyond required child support). Had he not contracted, he certainly could have paid if he wanted to - now he likely doesn't have much choice in the matter. Since we don't have the agreement or the court order - we can't really tell you what his obligation is. However, if an amount is not specified - I would contribute a dollar. However, the bottom line is if he is obligated to pay a specific amount, he will likely need and of course, he is always free to pay more if he wants to.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.