Dallas, TX asked in Car Accidents for Texas

Q: Been sued for car insurance accident

2years ago, March 2017, I was trying to move my things so a friend of mine who stayed in same apartment approached me with a plan to help me out with cash to rent a truck to move and will also run into his car so he can claim insurance money from the truck company and give me part of it. I ran into his car twice, he didnt call the police, He infact gave me $500 for doing that. After the accident, i called several times about my share of the insurance money but he never gave me anything and kept saying he has not been paid so i stopped calling. June 2019, i received a document that i am been sued for personal injury and damages to a vehicle please what advice and what step can i take because i just want to say the truth and i want to know the implications

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: First, ask the website to take this down. You have hopefully mis written what is there. You need to speak to an attorney who handles criminal matters because while you have a defense to the civil claim, that defense has implications for other matters. Do not mention this in emails to friends (not privileged) any social media (not privileged). Consult an attorney who handles criminal defense in the county where you have been sued.

Note on the complaint you have a set number of days to respond. You need to talk to the attorney now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.