Charlotte, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I was divorced in Florida in 2010, i had my daughter for 5 years, alone, until 2015.

In 2015 florida courts granted custody to my ex wife who had hardly had any part in her life until then. (I believe due to gross misrepresentation, since my attorney was fired afterwards and i was not charged what i owed.) Now my daughter is 11 and still living with her mother, in onslow county. First part of my question is, i have a recording of her step father admitting he does not want her living there with them, and he has nothing to do with her. And secondly, said step father is a marine and my ex is telling my daughter that she is moving to Germany with them where he is being stationed next.

What should i do to 1st, move jurisdiction of the case to onslow county. (i live in SC) And 2nd, get custody back of my daughter and keep her from being moved to Germany. There is also a issue of a unreasonable amount of child support i pay. But i more so just want my child back!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: If you are going to register the Order now, it would need to be in NC (Onslow County). Once registered, you should file a Motion to Modify Custody. While you are at it, you may want to include a Motion to Modify Child Support in the same filing. Consult with an attorney about more of the specifics of your case, in order to develop a more thorough strategy, as this is just one way to go about handling your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.