Dayton, OH asked in Family Law, Adoption and Child Custody for Ohio

Q: My boyfriend and I have been together 3 years. Shortly after he got guardianship of his sisters 2 boys.

We are not married so my name is not on the paperwork, but for the better half of 3 years I have been their mom. They call me mom. I am the only one who works, he lives off the money the state provides him. I am the one who does 90% of everything for those boys. My boyfriend and I are not working and I can not stay with him but I don't want to lose my boys! Is there anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Unfortunately, you currently have no legal standing in relation to those boys. If your boyfriend is unfit, you could petition to have him removed as guardian and you be appointed their guardian instead. Otherwise, if you and he separate, he would determine when and if you can continue to spend any time with them. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to review the situation and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.