Anaheim, CA asked in Civil Litigation, Personal Injury and Elder Law for California

Q: Why is it so difficult to find a lawyer for Dependent Adult Financial Abuse case when EADACPA awards attorney fees?

The case is well documented, proven and the crime has even been admitted to under oath in federal seems as if there are few (none) attorneys familiar with or interested in taking a civil case involving financial abuse of a dependent adult. The Elder Abuse Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act EADACPA specifically awards attorney fees, punitive damages, etc. why would it be so difficult to find an attorney? I don’t understand. The case is well documented, the abuse has already been proven in federal court but when looking for representation for a civil suit, finding a receptionist that even allows you to get that far in your story when she asks what the case is regarding is impossible. What kind of attorney should I be looking for? Maybe that’s the problem. Is there a specific field this falls in? Any help would be much appreciated.

3 Lawyer Answers

Randall R. Walton

  • San Marcos, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is not clear what you mean when you say the case has already been "proven" in court, but the remedies of attorneys' fees and punitive damages you mention are only realized after a verdict. That means your case must be tried, which you probably know is a long and expensive pathway. If your case is really good, that is you can meet the higher burdens of proof set forth in EADACPA, then you should have no problem finding a lawyer (I don't do the financial abuse cases), especially if the defendant is someone who can pay an award. If the abuser is someone who could not likely pay an award, then that could be an obstacle to finding a qualified lawyer too. Good luck.

Gerald Barry Dorfman , Tim Akpinar and William John Light agree with this answer

William John Light

  • Elder Law Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are having difficulty finding an attorney it's probably because your case isn't strong. By "strong" I mean either the evidence isn't as compelling as you suggest, or that there is no deep pocket to pay a settlement or judgment. If you mean to suggest that a criminal case has already been brought and that someone has been convicted, i.e., "proven", it is exceedingly difficult to collect money damages from someone who is in jail/prison.

Tim Akpinar and Gerald Barry Dorfman agree with this answer

Manuel Alzamora Juarez

  • Berkeley, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: There are lawyers who practice elder law in California, however there are a few of them. Just keep searching and help the lawyer by providing financial information regarding the value of the case an the prospective defendant. Most lawyers in thèse type of cases prefer to work by the hour. Best of luck

Tim Akpinar and Theodore Allan Greene agree with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.