Prescott Valley, AZ asked in Divorce, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: If I leave the house with my kids will it cost me in the divorce?

Do I have to continue living in the house until the divorce is final? Will the Judge see it as abandoning?

1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: In many cases it is actually advisable for one of the parties to leave the marital home during the divorce if the divorce is contentious. The children do not need to be exposed to the two of you fighting. The split is going to be hard enough on the children as it is; seeing their parents arguing or, heaven forbid, yelling at each other will only add to the trauma. Your duty is to protect your children and you also have an obligation to yourself to protect your own emotional and mental health. If the situation is toxic, get out. The Court will not perceive your move to another housing situation as abandonment and you do not waive your claim to any equity in community property. You must ensure that you are not interfering in you soon-to-be-ex's parental rights. You should not relocate to a distance that will make visitation difficult and certainly should not cross any state lines without an agreement in writing (text or email will suffice) from your spouse that shows you have permission to do so. I have had clients get in more trouble due to an unwillingness to move out of the marital home. If you have a suitable alternative for you and the children which will not affect your spouse's parenting time, I would encourage you to take advantage of the opportunity. As an added benefit you will also likely be able to more clearly consider your options / settlement offers without the daily stress of sharing living space with someone who will soon be part of your past.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.