Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I have been letting my wifes nephew live in my Mobile home rent free. I want to start charging rent. Can I?
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Sep 14, 2020

Yes, you can start charging rent. But you will first need to terminate the current tenancy according to the terms of the Arizona Residential Landlord Tenant Code and any rental agreement or lease that may exist. Once the existing tenancy is terminated, you will be free to negotiate a new tenancy... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Estate Planning and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: How do I get a copy of my dads Death Certificate and his Will? I live in Arizona and my dad lived in New Jersey?

My sister is not cooperating with me at all. She claims all papers including his Will, and Death Certificates were destroyed in a mysterious house fire last year. My dad left some property and money behind and I believe my sister has been lying about everything.

Douglas Price
Douglas Price answered on Aug 24, 2020

Good afternoon,

Since your Dad was a New Jersey resident you need a New Jersey lawyer to assist. Perhaps the lawyer could start with a letter to your sister. I recommend one of my law school classmates who is licensed in New Jersey, Micahel D. Carroll. Give him a call or send an email:...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: My brothers & I own a home & one of them wants to add my 1/2 brother onto the deed. Can he do this w/o our consent?

He wants to sell & my other brother & I don't. He's trying to get a my 2 other half bro's on so he can take us to court & make us sell. My father just passed in Feb. & The others just want their cut & to move on. But the property was never in my dad's name.... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Aug 9, 2020

If your brother wants to sell and the other owners do not, your brother can often force a sale by filing a partition action in the Superior Court. The Court will appoint a special commissioner to sell the home and the Court will decide how the sale proceeds will be divided if the brothers cannot... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Does AZ. Have a legal time frame for right of ingress and egress being grandfathered ?

Neighbor says my driveway is on his property. Current configuration has been established for 17 years. I have owned for 3 years. No mention of this until 7/28/20 .

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Aug 9, 2020

Arizona has statutes of limitation for recovery of real property that has been appropriated and used exclusively by another--such as your driveway. If action is not taken to recover such property, the user of the property can apply to the court to become its owner under the doctrine of adverse... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona on
Q: Can an HOA garnish wages, if they refuse to receive mail?

MY HOA refuse to pick up my mail, which includes my monthly dues. This has been going on for 4 months now. All mail was sent certified return receipt. There was an ADRE case on HOA refusing to pick up mail, and who is liable. I am awaiting response.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 22, 2020

You should not be using certified mail unless the HOA Rules require it. The HOA has no obligation to be available all the times to sign a receipt to the mailman. Send all checks regular mail or hand deliver them, and when they cash them, you will have a bank record of some type. You knew you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I ended a relationship and both our name are on the mortgage. How do i either sell the home or get off the mortgage

She believes the house is hers alone and that i was only there as long as she agreed to it.

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jul 13, 2020

I am assuming that you and your ex did not have a domestic partnership agreement or other written agreement concerning the assets acquired during the course of your relationship. Absent such an agreement, and generally speaking, if your name is on the Deed to this home in addition to the mortgage,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I don't know if I'm being taken advantage of by a real estate broker. Can you please go over the details of my pre-deal?

I want to sell and I reached out to a friend in real estate who wants to buy my house for cash tomorrow. The online real estate agencies such as Zillow rate my house between 3:55 and 4:10. This guy wants to flip the house so he's deducting all the things that he says he has to repair from the... Read more »

Phil Cardis
Phil Cardis answered on Jul 6, 2020

Lots to analyze here from a business decision standpoint relative to determining value but it appears the broker/investor is looking to make money for the costs and effort related to addressing the deferred maintenance. So lots of factors to consider in seeing what is best option for you. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Child Custody for Arizona on
Q: I live in Ca. I Have joint custody of my kid who lives between CA and AZ. I want equal physical time. Where do I start?

I was married in CA in 2009. Moved to AZ and bought a house with ex husband in 2010 with newborn. Filed for divorce myself with no lawyer in 2011 and it was granted 9/2012. The divorce decree and parenting plan is archaic and based on the naivety of a young me in my 20s who somehow thought I could... Read more »

John R Gaertner Jr
John R Gaertner Jr answered on Jul 5, 2020

It would be necessary to review all of your current court orders and the Decree to adequately provide advice on your current issues. There appears to be grounds to review and request changes to your current Legal Decision Making and Parenting Time Orders. There has been at least 5 years since your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: mother was poa for deceased processed quit claim deed in her name can any living relative take property back

process quit claim deed days after deceased passed away

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Jul 2, 2020

Any of the Heirs At Law can file suit to set aside a Deed conveyance that resulted from an invalid POA transfer after death of the principal, was never delivered, or was a breach of fiduciary duty, amongst many causes of actions. But all Heirs must be included as parties, either plaintiffs or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I hold the mortgage on a home I sold What happens when I die? Will my heir (son) then get the payments?

Is there something that needs to be recorded for this to happen?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Jun 20, 2020

Your estate will be entitled to the payments until your executor directs otherwise.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona on
Q: I'm in a home rental which expires end of Jan2021. i was informed that homeowners getting divorced, can i keep lease

I'm in a home rental which expires end of Jan2021. i was informed that the homeowners getting divorced, can i keep lease? Or can they terminate my lease? I have never missed a payment, i pay 2 weeks early and never had any complaints or issues. I want to stay... Do the homeowners have to honor... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jun 15, 2020

The homeowners' divorce does not impair your rights under the lease and is not, by itself, grounds for lease termination. So long as you pay your rent, you should be allowed to complete your lease term unless your lease contains provisions that would allow the owners to terminate early.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Landlord - Tenant and Small Claims for Arizona on
Q: Apartment switched property management companies after my lease ended... which one do I sue?

I'm filing a small claim against my previous apartment complex to get my unreturned security deposit.

The complex employed a new property management company AFTER I moved out.

Do I sue the property management company that was used when I signed the original lease or the new... Read more »

Mr Frankie Adamo Esq
Mr Frankie Adamo Esq answered on Jun 11, 2020

Generally, in landlord/tenant cases, you sue the landlord (or property owner) - not the property management company or property manager. The property manager typically is not the property owner and merely the landlord's agent who at all times is acting on behalf of the landlord. If the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Is it blackmail at mediation setting to be threatened with a lawsuit if I don't agree to vacate my judge's ruling?

I am supposed to be awarded attorney fees in my case that is still pending, but at a mediation setting on another matter, I was threatened with "they will sue you for breach if you do not vacate your judges ruling?"

Jay Hall
Jay Hall answered on May 27, 2020

The exact context of your question isn't clear, but no it doesn't sound like it's blackmail.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: My parent's passed away 27 years ago, the home was handed down to me & 2 sisters They abandoned home 20 years

They have never paid taxes for the home , my health is not that great can I give the house to my daughters , since they don't want anything to do with it , they want to sell after I die , i really dont think that's right, they have never helped me up keep it

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 27, 2020

You cannot adversely possess against Tenants In Common, which apparently all of you are. Any owner can demand a Partition Action to sell it and divide the proceeds. You can only give your 1/3 Interest to your Daughters, and then they become Tenants In Common with your Sisters. You might wish to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Does a land patent trump a mortgage holder's position? The patent is several years (12) older than the title conflict.

The land patent was obtained at the same time period as I revested title, "citizen" for "sovereign" when I discovered The United States of America became The United States of America INC. in 1878. DC became an entity and was used as collateral to UNK as collateral for money... Read more »

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on May 13, 2020

Assuming the land patent is in your chain of title, If you granted the land as security for the mortgage, then no the mortgage is superior to your personal claim of title as a citizen, etc. If there are two chains of title, then the one with an earlier Warranty Deed is probably superior due to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I bought my home with a friend we are both legally the owners of the home. He does not live in this house anymore

I’m just looking for any further legal information that I could be aware of. So that he knows what’s in state for him and also for me of course.He has not paid the mortgage for about a year since he moved out he does not pay electric bills water bills or even any other home repairs that were... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Apr 20, 2020

You and your friend remain partners in this home. He may continue to participate in any appreciation in value along with you. You can terminate the partnership by buying him out. You may need to refinance to do this. Or you can sell the home and divide the proceeds in a way fair to both of you.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona on
Q: Broke lease due to Job loss. Rent was current and prepaid 1m security dep. Owner listed for $225 higher. Unreasonable?

Was only 5m into 12m lease. Explained job loss (COVID). Landlord was understanding. Paid full rent ($1875) on the first, and was out on the 8th. Had also paid a full month of rent as security deposit and $500 in non-refundable cleaning fees. Was hoping landlord could get re-rented within the 7... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Apr 14, 2020

I recommend that you consult with a real estate attorney if your landlord makes a claim against you for additional rent. Your landlord must mitigate its damages under Arizona law and the reasonableness of the landlords attempt to re-rent is a fact issue for the judge to decide should a claim be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Got the final bill from our last apartment complex, they charged us for far more than we expected. What can we do?

Our last complex is charging us for a few additional things then expected. Most notably new carpets with pet sealant when only one needed to be replaced as it became loose after water heater issues last year. And for resealing the bathtubs (2) when I had been told in roughly Dec 2017 that... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Apr 13, 2020

You have the right to negotiate with your landlord to see if you can obtain a better result. If negotiation is unsuccessful you have the right to take the matter to court and ask a judge or hearing officer to decide the issue. But you need to be aware that, if you choose to go to court, it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I use just real estate attorney to buy property directly from owner, and avoid the title company?

I want to buy a piece of property in Arizona for $42K directly from the owners. The owners will finance the loan. They don't want to involve outside parties like real estate or title company.

I talked to a title company and they want about $3,500 to handle everything. I'd... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Mar 4, 2020

It is legal to do as you suggest but I strongly recommend against handling a real estate transaction this way. You would be much better served and better protected to have a title company handle this matter so you will have a title insurance policy and know that you are getting clear title to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Arizona on
Q: Own a property in Pima county that is going to foreclosure, because One of the owners has a lien on the property

For back due taxes on his business. I want my half of the value of the property before it forecloses.

How do I put a lien on this?

Diane L. Drain
Diane L. Drain answered on Feb 20, 2020

An owner cannot have a lien on their own property. If the lender was an entity of the owner, then the entity can have a lien. Talk to an experienced litigator, with real estate experience.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.