Austin, TX asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Texas

Q: Can I get my rights back even though my daughter has been legally adopted for 15 years & I have raised her for 15 years.

My parents convinced me to relinquish my rights when I was 18. I stayed living with them to raise my daughter for 15 years. I am now married and living on my own and they will not allow my daughter to live with me. Is there anything I can do to get my daughter back with me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You only mention that you relinquished your rights. Is it possible that your daughter was not formally "adopted"? If not, then you may have parental rights as they may not have even filed any documentation with the court. If they have formally adopted her then that will be a harder road to travel. You are treated as if you have no legal ties (not even as a biological parent) at that point. You would have a harder road to climb if so. With it being only 3 years until she is an adult it may not be worth all of the hassle to pursue any action at this point. Hoping that it all works out for you and your family. Good luck. 888-343-4529 #1 if you need further assistance.

Chad Zubi agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.