Alexandria, VA asked in Immigration Law for District of Columbia

Q: How to sponsor parents for green card?

My sister is currently attempting to sponsor my parents in receiving their green cards. My parents are currently on A-2 visas because my dad is employed with the Thai embassy as local staff. They both do not have medical records because rural thailand does not keep track of those very well. I understand that we should begin with an I-485 and I-130 but how exactly should we move from that? I dont know if this is jumping the gun but will the civil surgeon be able to provide all necessary vaccinations?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Hector E. Quiroga

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: You sister can file the visa petitions at the same time your parents file applications for green cards. Your sister will need to show financial sponsorship, too. Your parents will need to get medical exams, and any doctor qualified to do immigration medicals will be able to give them all of the necessary vaccinations.

We strongly recommend you speak with an immigration attorney regard your parents’ case.

Denise Anderson

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Concord, NC

A: The civil surgeons are normally equipped to provide the necessary vaccinations for purposes of Immigration. Civil Surgeons within each country are aware of the Immigration requirements for medicals, and are normally equipped to refer patients to the appropriate agencies for services they do not provide.

The forms used for green card application is dependent on where your parents reside, meaning are they in the United States or do they reside outside the United States? There are different processes and timelines involved. If you have doubts about the filing process to obtain green cards for your parents, I would recommend reaching out to an immigration attorney who can guide you through the process.

Before filing the necessary paperwork for your parents it is important to determine your sister's immigration status in the United States. That will determine the duration for the process to obtain green cards for your parents.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.