Chicago, IL asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I was talking with a coworker of mine who is going through a similar situation as me with putting my son’s father

on child support. She said that he can go to court to get joint custody. I don’t understand. How he could think to do that when he’s not even around our son, he’s with me all the time. I asked my mother about this and she said that he could. My question is even with child support going through he can go to court for joint custody? He’s already said that with me going through with child support that he is not going to send me anything for our son willingly which he hardly wasn’t anyway. If the court ask would I like to do joint custody can I opt out as far as with him being able to go back and ask? or no?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Yes. He can file for custody. Joint custody is not something you can "opt out" of having to do, if the court orders it. He can ask for joint custody at any time, even if he is not asking for it now.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.