Washington, DC asked in Banking for Maryland

Q: can I take my bank to court?

In March my account was hacked into and a fraud check was placed in my account in the amount of $200. I was unaware of these activities until I was making a purchase and discovered my account was over drawn. I called and they removed the overdraft and the fees. Now it’s June and I’m facing another overdraft due to disputes made in March that I did not file. They are telling me I have to pay the money and there is nothing they can do. What are my options?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: You have very few legal options--none of which are worth pursuing because there is a much better and cheaper option:

Close the account and find a new bank.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.