Rocky Point, NC asked in Child Custody for North Carolina

Q: I have had my cousins son since April 13th in NC, she lives in MD. Which state do I need to file legal guardianship?

The child is 2 years old. His mother and father let him stay with me bc if their living situation and both being on drugs. Do I need to go to MD and file with the courts or can I do that in NC?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Angela L. Haas
Angela L. Haas
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can file in MD now, or wait until October 14th and file in NC. If NC, you would be filing for Custody (not guardianship). The parents can sign a Consent Order for Custody, which will give you what you need to take care of the child, and if their situation changes, they can file to have custody modified.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.