Durham, NC asked in Divorce for North Carolina

Q: i only make 1000 dollars a month i cant afford a lawyer who can i talk to about getting a divorce pro bono

i have not been with this woman for over 30 years we have 1 child and he is grown

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Amanda Bowden Houser

  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The only way you will save money doing your own divorce id if you are indigent (extremely low or no income) and eligible to have court cost waived. You may not qualify. However, if you make a $1000 a month - you can afford us. Visit easyncdivorce.com to see if our service is a good fit for you. We can do a standard uncontested divorce for a flat rate fee of $395 which would cover everything needed.

Denise Anderson

  • Concord, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can contact Legal Aid of North Carolina; they offer free services for individuals who are not able to afford legal fees. There are certain criteria to be qualified as an indigent (individuals who are poor). A representative of Legal Aid of North Carolina will obtain your information and notify you if you are qualified. The phone number for Legal Aid of North Carolina is: (866) 219-5262. You can also Google their website and contact information online.

In addition to Legal Aid of North Carolina some counties, such as Mecklenburg County offer free classes via their Self Serve Center to teach individuals how to represent themselves in a divorce case. The services offered include filling out divorce paperwork, etc. Find out if your court in your county offer such service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.