Eudora, AR asked in Civil Rights, Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Juvenile Law for Arkansas

Q: A 17 year old, completely finished with high school, can not be questioned by police without parental permission in AR?

A off duty police officer set up a meeting with my niece to talk to her. she stopped her the day before. The officer was intimate with by niece boyfriend and thought my niece knew about the relationship. My niece didn't know anything. The traffic stop was full of open threats from the officer to our family. I spoke with the COP and he states that since my niece has graduated she's consider an adult and the officer can speak to her without consent. I know that's not true. I need some more information . Charges were filed on the officer for the threats. The PD is retaliating on my niece. A 17 year is considered a minor. A 17 year can not move from their parents home until their 18 legally. This officer has numerous complaints on her.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: There is no way a comprehensive answer can be provided here.

You need to retain counsel

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.