Asked in Criminal Law for Puerto Rico

Q: Is a person living in newyork can sue me if i live in puerto rico ?

Hi i live in Puerto Rico I buy a part from a computer on ebay from a seller living in NewYork, i returned the part because it was defective and now the seller is sending me emails saying that he lawsuit me for froud and thief.

I have not sleep in days because what this person doing for no reason. Y question is:

Is the seller possible to lawsuit me from NewYork if i live in Puerto Rico and make me go to a curt in NewYork?

Can i make something legal for disturbing peace against him ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. Yes they can sue but not in New York. It would have to be in Puerto Rico at the Federal Court since there is a diversity of Residency. You need to verify with E-Bay what the rules are for transactions made on thier site as to place of transaction. Where the place of transaction took effect is the place where the suit has to be filed. However I highly doubt the seller will do anything since the filing and legal process will outweigh the benefits to be gained by this process if any. My best advice is for you to contact E-Bay Customer service and explain the matter to them. They will resolve any issues that are pending between you and the seller.

As for if you can file any legal process the answer is no since the seller is only requesting legal process and no illegal threats have been made. Once again you should contact E-Bay directly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.