Puerto Rico Criminal Law Questions & Answers

Q: What are my rights for forced heirs in Puerto Rico?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law and Real Estate Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jan 29, 2019
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte's answer
Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. You will need to hire an Attorney in Puerto Rico to claim your rights to your inheritance as representatives of your father. First you will have to file a declaration of inheritors for your father's estate. Once you receive the court resolution declaring you the inheritors you will simultaniously file against the inheritors of your grandparents and file your father's inheritance tax forms. Your uncles and aunts have to pay you your share of the inheritance....

Q: I am trying to find out what a charge of AGGRAVATED ILLEGAL APPROPRIATION from 2007 in Puerto Rico means

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Sep 20, 2018
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte's answer
Good afternoon. This simply means illegal appropiation of goods. The alledged crime commited was theft without any violence to the victim. If the amount stolen was under one thousand dollars then it is a misdermenor (article 192 of the penal code) punishable by up to three months in jail, probation, house arrest or community services in addition to restitution of value of stolen goods. If the amount is over one thousand dollars dollars then it is a third degree felony (article 194 of the penal...

Q: About 2 years ago I won a civil case in Puerto Rico. But I havent received all money. What can i do now?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Municipal Law and Collections for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Nov 28, 2017
Michael David Siegel's answer
You can docket the judgment from Puerto Rico in New York. You need to get a certified copy from the court there.

Q: My daughter is 17 and she is dating a 21 year old man, can I press charges against him?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jan 4, 2017
Brian Lehman's answer
The short answer is that no person ever "presses" charges against anyone in the criminal context, so you can't press charges against anyone. The legal rational is that crimes are committed against the government and it is the government that decides whether to charge someone.

You can, if you want, notify the police that you think a crime is being committed and the police could open an investigation. Whether the police decide to arrest someone or the government decides to pursue...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.