Saint Paul, MN asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Minnesota

Q: Is there anyway for her to not go to jail?

I’m 17 and I got into a fight with an 18yr old and now she is facing 60days in jail for assaulting a minor. It was a stupid fight and we made up and are now friends and I really don’t want her to go to jail over something I kinda started. Is there anything I can do to help her?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas C Gallagher
Thomas C Gallagher
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • Licensed in Minnesota

A: Yes, though it will take persistent effort on your part. Typically, there is one prosecution witness. If that witness refuses to cooperate by appearing at the trial, the prosecution may be dismissed. Prior to that, the witness can persistently communicate his or her desire that the prosecutor and the court dismiss the charges. It's tougher to execute than to say. For more, call me or another criminal lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.