Crosby, TX asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Texas

Q: How can I get a court date?

I have not had my custody case resolved nor have I had a court date since 09/2018. My child went to visit her dad(w/o) a custody agreement 12/2017. He did not return her. I filed a custody case and was able to get a temporary agreement thru mediation- an msa-which expired 08/2018. Unfortunately, the father did not abide by that agreement & did not show up to court after that. I called the police and have several reports. I also filed a contempt order in which the courts did nothing. At this point I am unsure of what to do. It has been almost 2 years since I have seen my daughter and as I understand she is now involved with CPS due to her fathers use of drugs and is living with her grandmother who will not even open her door when I go to retrieve my child. I am being told by the court clerk and atty generals office that I must have a lawyer to get back in court however I can not afford one and the wait list for legal aide is over 8 months long. I can not waste any more time. I need help

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: This is hearbreaking. You should consult with your family members to seek financial assistance and assert your rights. You need to get involved with the CPS case. Even if you can not get a lawyer you should at least contact CPS to let them know that you need to have information on what is going on.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.