Asked in Bankruptcy for Virginia

Q: Can I file bankruptcy and add an agreement that I had with my previous employer on a loan

Related Topics:
3 Lawyer Answers

John Martin Hilla

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Farmington Hills, MI

A: First, you should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in your local area in a private consultation your interest in filing for bankruptcy to determine eligibility, asset protection issues, and whether or not it is the best option for you.

That said, any sort of loan or promissory note or promise to repay or contract of that nature, verbal or written, is generally dischargeable in Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy provided fraud was not involved.

Robert R Weed agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: Yes, you can.

Robert R Weed

  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Annandale, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: A loan from an employer is like any other loan. You can clear it in bankruptcy, unless there was some fraud involved, or if you used it to pay your taxes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.