Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Bernard S. Via III
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I have a remaining balance of 1,400 on signature lone and I can’t pay on it anymore what do I do

I have medical things that need done but can’t even afford the copays

Bernard S. Via III
Bernard S. Via III answered on Jun 3, 2021

If you are so far in debt and your income is limited you have an absolute right to file a chapter 7 bankruptcy (8 yr between bankruptcy filings). I have a cut off of around $10,000 in debt as when a person really needs to follow up with bankruptcy. If you do not pay they sue you and garnish your... Read more »

4 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy for California on
Q: I owed $425k on my house . its value is around $1.4 million. My son needs $200k to start a business so i'm refinancing .

So my new mortgage is $640k . If my son formed a llc. My question is if he by chances get sued for a lease hold or food poisoning .. God forgive. Can landlord come after our house? How can I protect most of my interest of the house.


Bernard S. Via III
Bernard S. Via III answered on Jun 3, 2021

I think you want to keep your son's business away from your house title. Increasing your loan on the house does not cause exposure to his creditors. One thing ,make sure your son has no interest ( like a remainder) interest in your house.

Just because you help your son get funds for...
Read more »

View More Answers

6 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Contracts for California on
Q: What if a defendant files for personal or biz bankruptcy before making all the payments of a settlement payment plan?

This is if both the defendant and attached business are named in the settlement. There would be a stipulation for entry of judgment attached to the settlement. The concern is the defendant defaulting and possibly filing bankruptcy prior to making payments.

Bernard S. Via III
Bernard S. Via III answered on Jun 3, 2021

Under a ch. 7 filing you file a claim for the full amount you were owed. You will not get that from the bankruptcy Trustee as he has to split the pie with his fee and the other creditors. The settlement agreement may be interpreted as paying off a lump sum. When the bankruptcy says the debt is... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.