Norfolk, VA asked in Child Custody, Child Support and International Law for Puerto Rico

Q: In puerto rico I'm backed up on child support . Can I be denied visitation of my child?

2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. No you cannot. Child support payments and visitation rights are two totally seperate issues and are not based one on the other.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Usually one thing doesn’t have to cause any affect on the other. So a simple answer should be, no, it doesn’t prevent you from exercising your parental and visitation rights. The child support debt and the visitation rights are two separate issues.

If there’s a judgement that states that you’re entitled to visitations and exercising your parental rights, it shouldn’t interfere on exercising your parental rights. This doesn't mean that this debt won’t have legal consequences.

As a parent you have moral and legal obligations with your dependent. If you’re backed up on your child support debt, chances are that the agency will try to enforce the payment of the debt by collecting through different means. If the debt is substantial it becomes delinquent and you might be facing other situations that you may have to attend by hiring legal representation. It is highly recomendable to higher an attorney so you can negotiate a payment plan for this debt.

If a court of law doesn’t have an official judgement that guarantees your parental rights, it is highly recommended that you higher legal representation so you can make it official and enforced by a court of law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.