Van Buren, AR asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning, Patents (Intellectual Property) and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: Mother died in 2008 no will daughter been paying taxes on land acreage a14 years how do I get it in my name

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Winblad
Richard Winblad
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Edmond, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: If the property was owned in mother's name alone, this will require a probate. Since there was no Will, it would pass according to intestacy statutes. If she was single and you are the only heir, this should qualify for a summary probate. If she was married and/or had additional heirs, then the property would be divided but you should be entitled to recoup the taxes paid.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.