Brooklyn, NY asked in Landlord - Tenant for New York

Q: I had a tenant (no lease) whose rent was being paid by the VA. VA stopped paying last April.

He has since moved in other people. We took them to court to evict them. Tenant filed a motion and the court continues to extend their time in the apartment. Court ruled they were suppose to pay rent for April and May still haven't received it. What can I do to quickly evict them? We havent received a payment in well over a year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elaine Shay
Elaine Shay
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: In order to legally evict a tenant, you must obtain a judgment of possession and have the eviction conducted by a Marshal. Since you describe already being in Court on this matter, you should know if you already have a judgment of possession. If you are not sure, you can ask your attorney or the court and take the appropriate next steps.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.