Houston, TX asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: Can I file on my own or should I hire an attorney?

My husband is incarcerated, we have 2 small children and he is now threatening me accusing me for him being incarcerated. Who/How can I talk to about obtaining legal & full custody of my kids as well as protection from him not knowing where we stay. I have police reports from abuse and violence towards me? But I fear for my kids safety. I have all the documents but I feel I need to do more but don't have the money. Who can I go to and what is the necessary steps I need to take?

1 Lawyer Answer
Rahlita D. Thornton
Rahlita D. Thornton
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You should hire an attorney especially since you are in fear of your safety. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.