Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: Me and my husband still married we seprated in 2013 yoingest was 8 months. i had to move back home to alabama due to

Not havint family in illinois i left 3 of my 4 daughters ygere my oldest has a differe ntfather i allowed my husband to come back and get her (shes the only father shes ever known) i trusted him i made the decision to do so bc i wasnt stable.. It didnt take me but about 3 months to get on my feet house car better paying job. We agreed to not do the whole court Custody.. Summer was starting and i ask to come get my girls and he told me id neber see them.. He told the courts supposibly i abandon my kids and they terminate my rights but i havent found any records or never was served with any paperwork its been 5 years.. Ive tried to find them.. He had me believe that no amount of money would win any custody case and i lost all my hope in seeing them u gave up.. I went down a bad path durint thay time and im.finally getting it back i dont want tgis to continue any longer i just need to know where and what to do to start this process

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert B. Buchanan
Robert B. Buchanan
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Hi! If the kids are in Illinois, you need to start either a custody or divorce case depending on whether you're married.

Once the case begins, the judge may schedule mediation which will be an opportunity to talk the father what you're hoping for.

There's no legal requirement you get a lawyer, but you may find navigating the court system difficult.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.