Garden Grove, CA asked in Probate for California

Q: My brother died 4/2019 his wife executor of living trust and will refuses to read will or communicate with his family.

He left 3 kids, grandkids, mother and 3 siblings. My deceased brother and wife held joint tenancy of home. My brother stated before his death his family was in will. He was also expecting a large financial settlement before his death occured. His wife will not share the will with family. What options do we have to force her to read will?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The will is supposed to be lodged with the probate court within 30 days of death. You can file a petition with the probate court to force her to produce the will.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.