Ocean City, MD asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: what is the maximum punishment for a minor for second degree criminal mischief

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allan F. Friedman
Allan F. Friedman pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: There is no "minor" or "serious" 2nd degree criminal mischief - a/k/a vandalism - the elements of the crime involve intentional damage to property in the amount greater than $250 - (there is a subsection dealing with property of utilities or mode of public transportation) - it is a class A misdemeanor which is punishable by up to a year in jail. Most commonly those without any criminal record would be advised to use a diversionary program such as accelerated rehabilitation. Often it may be possible to work out alternative resolutions which include paying restitution for the damage to the property and avoid a criminal conviction. Of course this is very fact dependent. The best course of action would be to get a free consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.