Washington, DC asked in Bankruptcy for Maryland

Q: I filed a Ch13 in NYS but since moved to MD. The income means are higher in MD. Am I able to switch my Ch13?

Would I have to have the Ch13 in NYS dismissed and then refile in MD? The payments to the trustee are too high. I'm struggling to pay it. Also, I owe student loans. I Am planning on going back to college. You do not have to pay back student loans while you are in school at least half time. Can my student loan be removed from my debts under Ch13, in order to lower my payments?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You can dm your 13 in NYS and refile in MD once you meet the residency requirement. Probably should enroll now and get deferment status in place before you file in MD.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.