Brunswick, OH asked in Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: Am i allowed to have a copy of police reports of what i am charged with.

My attorney told me he would send me copies of the police reports. Then told me he can not supply them as they are police reports. He also told me he would make an appointment for us with the prosecutors office to view video evidence of me doing the crime. It has never happened, and i dont believe the video evidence they claim they have is accurate at all. Is there anyway i can view this outside of my attorney? I have been charged with disseminating material harmful to adolescents and importuning. The importuning charge is a online chat i had with someone who i knew was a adult male posing as a child, they say they have a video of me masturbating during the chat. I know for a fact i never did that ever online in my life. My lawyer said he viewed it a long time ago and it is accurate but i dont believe he viewed anything.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Some materials in discovery are marked counsel only and cannot be shared directly with the defendant. Police reports that contain the names, and contact information for victims/witness/kids are often kept confidential. You really should hire a lawyer you trust. These charges have potentially life altering consequences.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.