Reidsville, NC asked in Estate Planning and Probate for North Carolina

Q: Can I sue for my deceased daughter's possessions from husband that I bought her for gifts?

It has been 1 1/2 years since her passing and he has yet to contact me. I sent him a letter requesting certain items, but received no reply. Nothing since her funeral. He has since remarried, and I was told her things were removed from the house. Storage? maybe. I need some closure, as I have nothing of hers for keepsake. He has totally ignored me and her sister. Please help us get just a few things of hers.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Unless she left you something in a will, anything you gave to her as gifts are hers and are part of her estate. You would likely not have any direct claim to them or cause of action to force him to give you anything of hers. Should her husband give you something to remember her by? Likely he should but he likely can not be forced to do so (at least not legally). Unless he is just a complete jerk, he presumably has some reason for cutting off contact with you and his sister in law. If he has legitimate reasons for doing that then this is essentially the price you pay and you may want to just leave things alone before you find yourself on the ugly end of a criminal harassment charge. If you are certain he has no legitimate reason to act as he has, then perhaps you need to reflect on why he has chosen to do what he is doing and approach this from a different angle rather than a legal one. Of course, it never hurts to consult with a local attorney who can review your situation in more detail just to be sure there isn't a legal option for you. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.