Omaha, NE asked in Banking for Iowa

Q: how do you get full financial power of attorney over someone

My grandson is high functioning autistic. He works full time and gets paid every 2 weeks. I have durable power of attorney so I can get into his bank accounts and pay bills but he will spend it all before I can get a chance to ever pay them. I may get $150 - $200 to buy groceries or pay part of his share of rent but he will spend the rest in a matter of 2 or 3 days. We have talked about this so many times but it isn't helping. His psychologist has even tried talking to him about it and has agreed that she will fill out whatever paperwork needs filled out for me to have full power of attorney over his finances if need be. Most of the time he can't even tell you where he spent most of it.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: If you have a durable power of attorney now that is the best you can do--short of filing an action in the circuit court seeking some sort of limited guardianship. Hire a family lawyer to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.