Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Iowa Banking Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Federal Crimes and Banking for Iowa on
Q: It’s been 6 months since the situation can he still report fraud
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 5, 2019

I guess. I have no idea without facts, type of fraud, date of discovery and so many more questions

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Iowa on
Q: how do you get full financial power of attorney over someone

My grandson is high functioning autistic. He works full time and gets paid every 2 weeks. I have durable power of attorney so I can get into his bank accounts and pay bills but he will spend it all before I can get a chance to ever pay them. I may get $150 - $200 to buy groceries or pay part of his... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 16, 2019

If you have a durable power of attorney now that is the best you can do--short of filing an action in the circuit court seeking some sort of limited guardianship. Hire a family lawyer to help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Iowa on
Q: Judge ordered a stay of garnishment on our bank account Monday, it’s friday when and how will my bank be notified? iowa
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 31, 2019

Your bank should have been notified; however, if the judge merely stayed the garnishment it may not go away entirely. Suggest you call the lawyer that helped you get the stay.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Estate Planning and Probate for Iowa on
Q: What if someone takes money (bank CDs) that is left to someone else in a legal will?

My grandmother left 2 CDs left to my father in her will, also stating that if he passes within 30 days then they would go to me, my father passed 3 days later. The bank only had my father as a beneficiary, so they were put in his name. My father did not have a will. The bank told me they don't... Read more »

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jan 10, 2018

I'm sorry for your loss, however it sounds like your Grandmother messed up here. If there is a beneficiary named on an asset, the will does not control it, and if your father died 1 second after your grandmother, then the bank did what it should by placing the CDs into your father's name. If your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Juvenile Law for Iowa on
Q: I live in Iowa and just turned 18. I have a minor bank acct. My dad won't sign over my money that I earned.

I was told that once I turned 18 I could get into my money. My dad is refusing to sign the paper as he's the custodial owner of the account. What can I do?

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Jan 30, 2017

There are two issues here: (1) who owns the money, and (2) how do you get it. The money belongs to the child who is now an adult. "Under terms of a state's Uniform Gift to Minors Act or Uniform Transfer to Minors Act, a custodian controls these accounts while the child is a minor. But the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Iowa on
Q: What should I do when a Room-mate steals everything I have?

Used my checking account. She had her name on the account.Wrote bad checks, withdrew ALL the money, never recorded what was taken, never told me she took it, never gave me the money!!

Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson answered on Nov 22, 2013

Call the police to see about initiating criminal proceedings. Talk to an attorney about civil proceedings. I would do both. However, if you and your roommate shared a checking account, then her use of funds in that account probably did not constitute theft.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.