Hackettstown, NJ asked in Child Custody and Family Law for New Jersey

Q: My son is currently incarcerated, his ex girlfriend is seeking sole physical custody and wants to Florida with the kids

Ages ,16, 12, and 6. Can the courts stop her from doing this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: There are rules when relocating with children out of state. She needs permission from the other parent or a court order. He can file opposition to her application, and if she didn't file an application he can file a motion to stop her.

You can also file a grandparents' rights petition. This is a complicated issue and none of those filings should be undertaken without an experienced family law attorney to advocate for your or the father's rights. You should seek out a consultation with a family law attorney as soon as possible.

Our firm specializes in family law and we offer free consultations. You can schedule one with me at 856-441-2000.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.